Thursday, April 3, 2008

Golden Moments


My volunteer job at GGA consists of working with the "Creche," which includes all of the children under five years' old. I usually work the morning shift (7:30am-2:00pm) with another German volunteer named Falk.

At 7:30, when I round the corner to walk towards the Creche house, sometimes I am greeted with a little brown round face popped out the window asking, "you workin da creche?!"

We dress them, get them to breakfast, snack and lunch, and put them down for naps, when the late shift comes. Somewhere in between all of that is a lot of playtime and a lot of potty training. The eight "crechies" are quite a handful, but are completely adorable.

A few of my favorite moments:
  • a sunset soccer match on the beautiful backdrop of the African Hills
  • toddlers singing songs in Zulu (you have no idea how cute this is!)
  • a still moment with a quiet breeze, laying in the grass under the shade of a tree with baby Nocipo asleep on my chest

No comments: